A New Approach to State and City Budget Lobbying
YNY has developed a strong track record of securing state and city funding for highly-regarded organizations, institutions and projects that are in the public interest. Whether it is a supportive housing agency seeking supplemental funding for mental health counseling or a state teaching hospital requesting economic development funds to create jobs at their state of the art biotech incubator, our clients have benefited from both our strong governmental relationships and our commitment to extensive documentation and follow through. YNY is extremely proud of the millions of dollars that our clients have been granted over the years to benefit the residents of New York City and New York State.
Much like any lobbying effort, the key to achieving success with a public funding request is to make an objective, well-documented case for the proposal and support it through the development of a thoughtful, comprehensive and coordinated campaign.
Developing Relationships to Secure Funding
While Outward Bound has developed a well-known brand as one of the nation’s most respected and innovative leadership and character building organizations, the specific educational programs and policies of local not-for-profit New York City Outward Bound were less understood. Seeking to develop relationships throughout state and city government and secure funding for their well-regarded New York City educational programs, NYC Outward Bound hired YNY to help make their case.
YNY put a plan in place that included:
- The creation of new informational materials to highlight the group and its successes with NYC public school students
- Lobbying visits to legislative offices to provide briefings
- Tours with local elected officials of Outward Bound schools and programs
- Involvement of key legislative leaders in Outward Bound’s intergenerational leadership programs
- Comprehensive budget proposals focused on the needs of New York City public school students
- Targeted media initiatives – including press conferences and events – that also involved local elected officials.
Over the past several years, New York City Outward Bound has consistently secured significant operational and capital funding from both New York State and New York City that has helped them to expand their educational network to ten small public high schools in five boroughs. NYC Outward Bound continues to make a difference in the lives of countless New York City students and YNY is an extremely proud partner in their efforts.